France v Albania Line-ups
Official line-ups not yet available
Official squad list
|13||Eliaquim Mangala||25||Man. City|
|19||Bacary Sagna||33||Man. City|
|6||Yohan Cabaye||30||Crystal Palace|
|8||Dimitri Payet||29||West Ham|
|12||Morgan Schneiderlin||26||Man. United|
|11||Anthony Martial||20||Man. United|
|16||Sokol Çikalleshi||25||Istanbul Basaksehir|
France have not lost in their last four competitive games in Marseille, but the UEFA EURO 2016 hosts know from recent experience that Group A opponents Albania are not a side to be underestimated.
• Albania got the better of France in the two centralised friendlies played in conjunction with the UEFA EURO 2016 qualifying competition. They drew the first encounter 1-1 in Rennes before winning 1-0 at home in Elbasan thanks to a goal from Ergys Kaçe.
• The teams for that game, on 13 June 2015, were:
Albania: Berisha, Lila (Memushaj 18), Hysaj, Aliji, Ajeti, Lenjani (Rama 56), Cana, Basha (Lilaj 71), Kaçe (Balaj 80), Roshi (Sadiku 64), Çikalleshi (Fejzullahu 88).
France: Lloris, Jallet (Sagna 71), Evra, Varane, Sakho, Kondogbia, Griezmann (Ntep 59), Gonalons (Valbuena 59), Giroud (Fekir 46), Payet (Pogba 46).
• France had won the four previous meetings – all UEFA European Championship qualifiers – with a goal difference of +10.
• Les Bleus’ biggest victory in that sequence was a 5-0 success at the Parc des Princes in EURO ’92 qualifying, with Franck Sauzée and Jean-Pierre Papin both scoring twice.
EURO facts – France
• France are unbeaten in their last four competitive games in Marseille (W3 D1). This is their first competitive match in the city since a 3-0 victory against South Africa in the 1998 FIFA World Cup group stage.
• Marseille was also the venue for the 3-2 triumph over Portugal that took France to the final of the 1984 UEFA European Championship.[VIDEO src=”2354911″ size=”smallLandscape” align=”Right” caption=” France overcome Portugal at UEFA EURO 2000″ ]
• Their overall record in 13 games in the city is W6 D3 L4 (W3 D1 L1 in competitive games).
• France are one of only three nations to have won a EURO as final tournament hosts, along with Spain (1964) and Italy (1968).
EURO facts – Albania
• Albania are one of two countries making their major tournament debut at UEFA EURO 2016 along with Iceland.
• Albania’s record in qualifying was W4 D2 L2.
Coach and player links
• The game is taking place two days after France midfielder Kingsley Coman’s 20th birthday.
• Albania captain Lorik Cana – who lives in the Marseille area – plays in France for Nantes along with international team-mate Ermir Lenjani, who was previously at Rennes.
• Cana came through the youth system at Paris Saint-Germain and was part of the side that finished second in Ligue 1 in 2003/04. He was a league runner-up twice during a four-year spell at Marseille (2005–09) and twice a losing French Cup finalist (2006, 2007).
• Cana left Marseille for Sunderland in the summer of 2009, just as current France boss Didier Deschamps took charge of the club. Deschamps was thus Cana’s coach for only a matter of weeks in pre-season.
• Have played together:
Steve Mandanda (France) and Lorik Cana (Albania) – Marseille, 2005–09